By Leo Babauta
In this bonus webinar on mastering habit change, I give a talk on what it means to master habit change … and what habit change really is.
Here’s a spoiler: it’s about self-learning.
It’s about learning things like:
- How does my mind work?
- How does my environment affect this?
- What motivates me?
- What happens in my mind when I fail?
- What obstacles get in my way?
- What ideals do I have about the habit, and do they match reality?
- Do I trust myself? How do I build that trust?
To succeed at this self-learning process, it helps to:
- Have the right attitude – of self-learning, not perfection
- Redefine success – learning and mindfulness, not rigid habits
- Learn mindfulness, trust, motivation, commitment, watching urges
- Learn how to adjust your environment to make the habit likely to succeed
- Build a regular review so you can learn and adjust
The Talk on Habits as Self-Learning Labs
The Questions & Answers
In this longer video, I answer your questions on habit problems, including:
- Treating habits as a to-do list
- Not having a regular schedule and how to handle that
- Not having self-discipline
- Habit failures derailing other changes
- Quitting smoking
- Feeling really bad about failing at habits
- Dealing with disruptions like travel, illness, crises
- Substituting for bad habits
- Getting stuck at a beginning level of habits
- Dealing with habits when you’re burned out
- And much more