By Leo Babauta
In the webinar video, I answered a number of member questions, shared my experiences with a recent southeast Asia trip, shared my new minimalist experiment …
And I gave a talk about:
- What are we not grateful for?
- Food & drink
- Social media
- Online distractions, entertainment
- What does that leave? The essentials:
- What frustrates us?
- When people are rude, inconsiderate
- When people donâ€™t do things in the way we like
- When things donâ€™t go our way
- What about Resistance? Where do we find it?
- Resistance to making changes
- Resistance to discomfort (exercise, vegetables)
- Resistance to big projects (feeling overwhelmed, confused, incompetent)
- Resistance to sticking with something for very long (repetition, boredom, itching to quit)
- How to use Gratitude to deal with frustrations
When someone does something in a way we donâ€™t like â€” first use the Warm Hand method (compassion, warmness, get relaxed)
Then shift mindset from â€œwhy canâ€™t they do it my wayâ€ to:
- Iâ€™m glad I have this person in my life
- Iâ€™m grateful for the things this person does for me
- This person is different from me, but I celebrate their differences with gratitude
- Iâ€™m curious to understand why they do things differently from me, and I am grateful for the opportunity to learn
When something doesnâ€™t go our way â€” shift mindset from â€œwhy canâ€™t this be differentâ€ to:
- Iâ€™m grateful for the life I have
- Iâ€™m curious about why this is going this way, and grateful for the opportunity to learn
- Iâ€™m grateful to have a variety of experiences, not just the ones I am used to
- Iâ€™m grateful for the opportunity to grow, to become flexible, to be mindful, to practice letting go and not attaching to the way I like things
- How to use Gratitude to deal with resistance
Pause and notice the resistance, and see what it is we are resistant to, and what we wish things could be.
Learn to trust that you’ll be OK in discomfort.