Webinar: Working with Expectations Throughout the Day
By Leo Babauta
In this webinar on Working with Expectations, I give a talk on the key skills for working with expectations, along with some examples of how I work with them during my typical day.
In this webinar, I discussed:
The point of this module is not to have ZERO expectations â€” itâ€™s to not be so attached to them, and to see when theyâ€™re causing us harm, and to let them go when they are.
This means a few things:
- Becoming more aware of when weâ€™re having expectations of anything – this is difficult because we donâ€™t usually know itâ€™s happening
- Becoming more aware of the effects of the expectations â€” this is a little easier, with practice, because we can see the signs, like anger or frustration
- Learning that we donâ€™t need to hold onto expectations, and we can let them go
- Learning what itâ€™s like to work without expectations
A few examples in one of my typical days:
- My kids left a mess
- Iâ€™m worried what people will think of my new post
- I have lots of customer issues to deal with as we transition to a new membership system
- I have a conflict with my wife â€” my first response is to be mad, and wish that she wouldnâ€™t act that way â€¦ then I examine my expectations, and try tossing them into the ocean
I also answered a number of questions about expectations and goals, work projects, improving a situation, other people, and more.