By Leo Babauta
In this webinar, I shared a recent couple days of unhealthy eating, and how I dealt with it. Then I shared the following tips:
- Donâ€™t diet. How many of you have tried a diet? How many of you are still on it? How many did it after 3 or 4 months?
- Instead, change normal gradually.
- When youâ€™re tired, you donâ€™t eat well.
- Make choices when youâ€™re rational.
- Start to learn what makes you feel good and bad. Calculate net value.
- Change your environment.
- Adopt a flexible mindset â€” one or two unhealthy days wonâ€™t kill you â€¦ the important thing is learning and starting again.
- See when your mind rebels.
- Be driven by learning and love, not dissatisfaction.
- Find ways to address your bad feelings other than eating.
- Re-learn social habits. And travel habits.
- Slow is your friend.
Then I answered some questions from members, including:
- What can you say about being “addicted” to sugar. I went without much sugar this week and felt terrible. Is it normal to have this feeling and will it go away in time?
- Like you I count my macros very closely and find myself eating a lot of the same home cooked meals over and over – chicken, oats, sweet potatoes, broccoli, kale. I try to mix it up with a few meals from something fermented, some bone broth, and organ meats each week, but I worry that by eating essentially the same meal every day I am missing some critical micronutrients in my diet. How do you handle eating the same meals every day while ensuring you are getting all the various nutrients you need?
- I can’t find the open thread on the healthy eating module. Can you post the URL to that on the landing page? (It’s here.)
- Are you not worried that making batches will lead to overheating or the food will loose its nutritional value (because I am keeping it for a long time in fridge).
- Have you ever had to deal with peer pressure over making long term changes (vs a wholesale change)? If so, how have you responded to that?
- Do your family eat the same diet than you? if no how do you deal with the different diets?
- I wondered… has anyone ever exerted pressure on you from the other direction e.g. ‘why aren’t you just cutting out everything or going on this or that diet?’
- Could you share a bit about your take on coffee in terms of health. Its a conflictive subject, many people regard it to be very unhealthy.