Webinar: Overcoming Obstacles to Simplicity
By Leo Babauta
In this webinar, I give a talk on many of the common obstacles to simplicity, and then boiled them down to one root obstacle: fear.
In this webinar, I discussed:
- The idea that simplicity is actually fairly simple â€” slow down, schedule less so you have more space for important things, get rid of clutter, let go of false needs, be mindful and enjoy the moment.
- But in reality, itâ€™s not always that easy. Things get in the way. So we should explore how to overcome those obstacles to get to simplicity.
- Common obstacles to simplicity:
- norms of others
- not wanting to let go
- sentimental reasons
- people who live with you (spouse, etc)
- the way youâ€™ve been doing things for years
- mindless habits
- anxiety, what-ifs, just-in-case
- fear (including FOMO)
- change can be overwhelming – inertia
- desire for comfort & convenience
- time sucks
- feelings of obligations
- not having the time
- being busy
- But these all boil down to one thing: fear of not being good enough, not being OK in this moment. If we can address this, we can overcome all the obstacles.
- I discuss a way of addressing the fear of not being good enough.
I also answered a number of questions about gifts that people give you, finding detachment from any job, not wanting to waste money you’ve spent, and more.