Weâ€™re starting Week 3 of our Beautiful Mornings Challenge, and this week is about creating a mindful, sacred space.
In the first two weeks, you woke a bit earlier and took on a new task each week …. this week, instead of waking earlier and doing a third task, you are invited to take some time to adjust to the new wake time, and make this a sacred space where you practice mindfulness.
It’s great to give yourself time to adjust to waking earlier, even if you’ve only been trying to wake 10-20 minutes earlier than normal. The mind and body take time to adjust to a changing sleep schedule, so I recommend a very gradual change, where you give yourself time to adjust.
In addition, I suggest that you spend this week making this a mindful space for yourself:
- Have an intentional start, instead of just stumbling into your morning tasks … pause before you start and set an intention, moving into your Beautiful Morning mindfully.
- Treat the time as a meditation, trying to be as present as you can during this time, not just rushing through it, not just treating it like another task on your list. You’re shifting your habitual way of doing things.
- Treat every task that you do in this space as sacred â€” it is an act of loving devotion, not just an ordinary thing. Treat it as if it’s the most important act in the universe, as if it might be your last act.
- Find gratitude for every single moment during this time. It’s such an incredible thing you’ve created for yourself â€” appreciate it!
- Notice when your mind wanders, when you are rushing through things, when you are complaining, when you are less than committed. See if you can bring yourself into the present, treat this as a sacred act, find gratitude.
- Notice whether you are committed to this sacred space. Is it important to you, or are you treating it lightly? Can you be more committed in your heart? Is this how you treat other things in your life? Find a way to be deeply committed.
These are incredible practices that will influence everything we do in our lives. Start this week!