In this video, I talk about what to do when you first start your meditation session:
- Settle in, and check in with yourself
- See what you’ve brought to the session
- Check in with your physical state, your emotions, your thoughts
- Allow yourself to be present with these things
Please complete one of these exercises:
- Beginner: Try spending a minute or two sitting in meditation posture, and just checking in with yourself. What have you brought to this sitting session? What are you feeling physically? Are there emotions? Can you be present with them? What are the quality of your thoughts? Do this exercise for at least 30 seconds each time you sit down to meditate for the rest of the course.
- Advanced: In addition to checking in with yourself, do a body scan. Spend a little time paying attention to the soles of your feet. Then your toes. Move slowly up your body and check in with every body part until you get to the top of your head.