Let’s get started with the Create Daily Challenge â€” this week, all we have to do is create the space and enter into it. Pretty simple!
The idea is that we’re not going to say, “I’m going to write every day for an hour,” and then do it for 1-2 days before failing. That’s not how we create a habit.
So we’ll start by just creating a small space and then using that space to create each day â€” a small first step.
Before we do that, let’s talk about our Why.
The Why of Creating Daily
Take a moment to reflect on why you would take up this challenge. It’s important to understand our deeper reasons, so that we can remind ourselves of that when things get uncomfortable and we want to put things off.
Why do you want to create each day? It has to be more than, “Because it sounds nice!”
There are lots of reasons you might want to create daily â€” some ideas to contemplate:
- You want to express parts of yourself you don’t normally express
- You want to tell a story that isn’t often told
- You care about an issue and want to start a conversation about it
- There’s a truth about society that needs to be shown
- You want to create a business that helps people
- You want to create a movement that changes the world
- You want to help people who are struggling like you are (or have)
- Your bones are aching for an outlet for your creative energy
- You need some space for freedom, creation, fun in your pretty serious day
- You’ve always wanted to write a book or play an instrument, and want to finally make it happen
- You care deeply about a group of people who need you
Take a moment to figure out your deeper Why of creating daily. Then remind yourself of it each day.
Create the Space, Then Be In It
Now that you’ve done that, let’s take action:
- Pick a time when you’re going to create each day. We’re only aiming for 5-10 minutes, so you can probably find the time. It’s best if it’s at the same time each day, but if that’s impossible, figure out what works for different days.
- Block that time off in your calendar and set reminders. Actually block off this time, and keep it sacrosanct, so that nothing can impinge upon it. Set up a calendar reminder, a phone reminder, and a physical reminder like a note that you put somewhere visible. Don’t let yourself forget.
- Each day this week, when the time comes, enter into the space without delay. Consider the decision already made, and just move into it. That means set aside everything else, get out your pencil and sketchpad or writing app or whatever tool you need for the job, and just start moving the pencil, typing on the keyboard, strumming the guitar. You don’t have to do anything profound, just be in the space.
That’s this week’s challenge! Don’t let yourself skip a day. Commit to this and report how it went in the #creativity channel on Slack!
Special instructions for entrepreneurs: If you’re an entrepreneur who wants to work on your business during this challenge, definitely start by understanding your deeper Why of creating your business â€” it’s important to remind yourself and align yourself with this Why. Then use your Create Daily space to work on the One Thing you know you need to do to grow your business â€” write marketing copy, create and write a blog, create a video, create a course, etc.