So we’re a week into this module, and you might have missed a day or two already. Why? Because remembering to meditate is one of the hardest obstacles early on.
People don’t meditate because they forget.
And that’s a normal thing, but definitely solvable. Here are some ideas you can implement right now, so you don’t forget again:
- Put a sticky note on your laptop and other places you normally go to in the morning, so you definitely don’t forget.
- If you have a meditation cushion, put it somewhere awkward and obvious (kitchen table, in front of your toilet, on top of your laptop) that you won’t fail to see.
- Set phone or computer reminders. Multiple ones that you won’t ignore.
- Make your desktop picture or browser start page be something that says, “Meditate today”.
- Ask a friend to call or text you every morning at 8am asking if you meditated.
- Have your spouse or kids or roommate remind you every day.
In truth, you only need reminders for a little while. After awhile, it becomes more automatic and you won’t forget.
And when you do remember, or see your reminder, pause and think about how lovely this meditation will be. Don’t see it as a chore to be checked off your list, think of it as a treat to be enjoyed every morning.
Finally, I’d like to say that if you find yourself feeling bad about missing meditation, pause and notice these feelings, and just let yourself watch them non-judgmentally for a minute. See them, feel them, and then let them go, as all feelings will pass.