In this lesson, we discuss the rather sticky situation of dusting off an old habit, and simply starting again.
- It can be a challenge to start an old habit again â€” after stopping for awhile, it adds some additional challenges
- One challenge: a story that “I shouldn’t have quit, that was a mistake” â€” it’s unhelpful, it doesn’t help us go forward; instead, it can be helpful to find something useful to learn from the past experience, a positive way to take the previous experience
- Another challenge: the story of “why do I have to start all over again?” It can be discouraging to start again, losing a lot of your progress. This too isn’t helpful, notice that you have this story, let go of where you were, and know that you can get there again, because you’ve proven it before
- You get to do the beginning part of the habit again, to deepen into your mastery of the habit, which will be helpful as you do further habits and as you help others form the habit. Notice the challenges that beginners face
- Starting the old habit again, you know more than before, so it might be easier
- But you also might have other habits you’re doing, which can affect this new habit, so just become aware of how the dynamics of your life affect this habit
- Bookmark this skill for later, if it doesn’t apply now
- But … you can start to become aware of the dynamics that affect your habits, like stress levels, other people, your environment, etc.
You can watch the video above, or here on Vimeo.