This month, we can continue our discipline work by practicing the discipline of creating space to create something. Every day.
The challenge is to create space to create daily.
That might seem simple to some, and to others it might sound preposterous â€” who has the time to create something? You do!
What can we create? Anything you like:
- Write a book
- Create videos
- Sketch or paint
- Create an online comic
- Play music
- Create an app
- Create an online business
- Create a real-world business
- Create a movement or non-profit organization
- Map out a plan for your life, for a retreat, for a project
You are limited only by your creativity. Basically, weâ€™re creating space for creating anything. Please note that Iâ€™ll have special instructions each week for creatives & entrepreneurs.
This challenge is made up of two elements:
- Practice the discipline of creating space to create, and holding that space instead of filling it with busywork or distraction.
- Practice the discipline of staying in the space to do your work of creating, even when you want to run to do something else.
These are related discipline practices, but both important elements for us to work on.
How the Challenge Works
Hereâ€™s how the challenge works â€” you set aside time to create each day, and report weekly (or daily if you like) on how it goes.
- Week 1: Just create the space. In the first week, you simply need to create 5-10 minutes to create. Then be in that space and do nothing but create or sit there thinking. The work here is creating the space to create, and then to enter into it without putting it off.
- Week 2: Open up while youâ€™re in the space. Weâ€™ll continue with just 5-10 minutes (at a minimum â€” you can keep going if you feel like it), but weâ€™ll practice opening up to creating while weâ€™re here. You might have difficulty creating even while youâ€™re in the space â€” opening up is likely to help.
- Week 3: Expand the space & your creative practice. Weâ€™ll expand our creative space to 15-20 minutes (or more), and also work on practices to expand how we create.
- Week 4: Play in your space, finding joy in the creating. This week is about bringing fun to the creative space.
Can you commit to creating each day? Commit to the challenge in the #creativity channel!